Meeting Jesus can be used at anytime during the church year. However, if you’ve decided to use Meeting Jesus during Lent, here’s our recommended timeline.
Late November/Advent: Identify small group leadership. This is an opportunity to ask adults who don’t normally work with teens to assist. Please see Small Group Leadership Roles for more information.
Epiphany 2018: Small group leaders publicize and invite individuals into small groups. Make decisions about time and location for your group, although with teens for scheduling reasons, you may want to keep the sessions at your normal weekly time. Order journals if this has not been done already.
Last Sunday in Epiphany/Transfiguration Sunday:
- Session theme is “Meeting Jesus.” Orientation and Kick-off session.
First Sunday in Lent:
- Session theme is “God is Love.”
Second Sunday in Lent:
- Session theme is “The Word Became Flesh.”
Third Sunday in Lent:
- Session theme is “Close to the Father’s Heart.”
Fourth Sunday in Lent:
- Session theme is “I Have Called You Friends.”
Fifth Sunday in Lent:
- Session theme is “Abide in Me.”
- Last small group session.
- Concluding conversation is about being sent out into the world.
- Session theme is “We Declare to You.”
We recognize that not all groups will be able to meet on a Sunday. In this case, we recommend that groups being held Thursday- Saturday have their initial session before Transfiguration Sunday and groups being held on Monday or Tuesday have their initial session after Transfiguration Sunday. This will ensure that the last session for the Thursday-Saturday groups are not held during Holy Week services. If you are using the online curriculum in addition to the teen curriculum, you can start that curriculum the day you have your first small group session.