Week 1 Compilation: God is Love

We are pleased to share this compilation of the first week’s videos, which take up the theme “God is Love.” We hope this compilation will help you to catch up on any videos you might have missed, as well as to provide an easy way to share the week’s videos in a group. We’d love to know how this week went for you!

Week 1 Day 1: God is Love

Week 1 Day 2: God So Loved the World

Week 1 Day 3: Love’s Self-offering

Week 1 Day 4: That the World Might Be Saved

Week 1 Day 5: Children of God

Week 1 Day 6: Love that Casts Out Fear

1. Donna Fowler on 02/17/2018 at 11:41 pm

Thank you for the opportunity to reflect and pray with you on the gospel of John and the Epistles. I have not only been writing down thoughts, but I’ve also been drawing/coloring! And I have zero artistic talent, but that doesn’t seem to matter. đŸ’™

2. Marti Hunt on 02/17/2018 at 9:48 pm

Although there is the option of reading the transcripts, which I appreciate for those who are hearing impaired, I found it very meditative to listen to the different voices of the Brothers sharing the reflections. This had an impact that went beyond the words themselves. I am very grateful for this opportunity.

3. Doreen Handley on 02/17/2018 at 9:17 pm

Listening to the video each day reminds me to take my focus back to God who dwells in me. I listen to what God has to say to me. I also pay attention to how God is shown to me each day in small ‘coincidences’, which I don’t believe are coincidences, but God showing me that He is with me every second.

4. Richard on 02/17/2018 at 8:08 pm

I looked forward to each daily video to see how God’s word was going to lead me:

5. Robbie. on 02/17/2018 at 7:43 pm

I have freedom in God’s love to express my words and actions as His, in me and revealed through me, I strive from fear by my outward expression of Love, God’s Love.

6. Robert Bagioni on 02/17/2018 at 7:38 pm

Having used the Lenten series for the past two years I looked forward to this years offering. Week one did not disappoint. I can echo the comments posted by all this week. God’s love is unconditional and like grace is given to each of us by God without any strings attached. In good times or in bad times God’s love is there to give me strength when I need it in bad times and to more fully appreciate the joy of life in good times. How wonderful to be a child of God.

7. Deacon Laurie Michaeos+ on 02/17/2018 at 6:42 pm

Thank you for these reflections and practical applications to our prayer life. I love the questions for self reflection, the corresponding prayer journal and the end of the week compilation as I seek to draw closer to God with greater intensity this Lent.

8. John David Spangler on 02/17/2018 at 6:38 pm

With great gratitude, I would like to thank the Brothers for Week I, echoing what Richard, Abby and Michelle have written. Keeping up took some resolve which I shall strive to continue. Dealing with Day 6 was the hardest.

9. Sally on 02/17/2018 at 6:05 pm

I have found so much to consider this past week. I think the most awesome was seeing myself as a Child of God. I refer to myself to others as a wife, mother, teacher, grandmother, daughter, sister, and so on. But, I never tell people I am a Child of God. I have spent part of this week contemplating that and changing that. First, and foremost, I am His. All the rest of my “titles” are nothing compared to being His. It’s easy to think about, but less normal to attest to. From now on, my starting point will be with my identification as a Child of God and the rest will follow!

10. Michelle Bull on 02/17/2018 at 5:13 pm

I don’t think any of the Brothers said anything new or startling or that I hadn’t heard before, even said before. But the way they said it, the openness and loving acceptance they showed, the way they put it together, made it seem often like amazing new illuminations. Often they brought tears to my eyes and have certainly deepened my sense of God’s love. I am most deeply grateful.

• Philip Ritchie on 02/17/2018 at 9:46 pm

Brother James came to our Church in Oxford recently and said that Fr Benson, the Founder of SSJE had a quiet voice and was quite theological, so a lot of folk couldn’t hear him or found him quite difficult to listen to but at the same time they really felt the presence of God when he spoke! The Brothers were very clear and not too theological (!) but yes I totally agree full of openness and loving acceptance – I too felt God was present in these talks. Thank you so much

11. Abby Briggs on 02/17/2018 at 1:57 pm

My journal is now telling me to abide in God; that He loves all of me, and if for me then also for everyone else; that I don’t have to earn His love, or always feel it, that God’s love transcends our feelings; that I should listen for God’s voice each day; that I am a beloved child of God; and that Jesus by example teaches us to rely on relationship with God, who is the perfect love casting out fear.
    What an incredible message.
    Thanks be to God,
    Amen.

• James on 02/19/2018 at 4:10 am

That’s a perfect summation of your past week Abby, thank-you for putting it so succinctly! God bless.

12. Richard Dixon on 02/17/2018 at 1:32 pm

Thank you Brothers, for this First week of Meeting Jesus. I’m not sure that “enjoying ” is the right word for how I feel, but I enjoyed each daily offering, not least because I was lead to consider again the blessings I have received at our Lord’s hand.
    I give thanks!

• Margot L T on 02/18/2018 at 7:41 pm

I end this week and begin another in gratitude to the Brothers for introducing this conversation with my deepest fears and hopes. Both have a lot to say! Writing daily in a journal is like excavating – more becomes apparent, or at least suggestive, than might otherwise be appreciated. So much of what I have read and heard this past week is familiar – a story told in different ways and heard at different ages in varying circumstances. Yet, it remains active, unfinished, inviting, welcoming and, most important, hope-filled.