Week 1 Compilation: God is Love

We are pleased to share this compilation of the first week’s videos, which take up the theme “God is Love.” We hope this compilation will help you to catch up on any videos you might have missed, as well as to provide an easy way to share the week’s videos in a group. We’d love to know how this week went for you!

Week 1 Day 1: God is Love

Week 1 Day 2: God So Loved the World

Week 1 Day 3: Love’s Self-offering

Week 1 Day 4: That the World Might Be Saved

Week 1 Day 5: Children of God

Week 1 Day 6: Love that Casts Out Fear

1. Keith Aldred on 02/24/2018 at 2:05 pm

A meaningful way of listening to God. The more we are prepared to listen, the more we receive, on which we can act with His strength.

2. David John Drew on 02/21/2018 at 10:01 pm

Revelation.

I feel stretched…
    Too far
    And then the realization comes
    That I’m enough…
    I am more than sufficient
    For the task
    For that which you have asked of me…

I am a bridge
    Connecting
    Two different lands
    Alternate dimensions
    That come together as One.

A path traversing
    Ploughing through the sea
    Grasping continents
    With a single breath…
    Steps without footprints.

A flowing stream of Divine love
    Of waves breaking boundaries
    Creating pathways
    Across an infinite ocean.

All my independent objections
    Were demolished
    In the sparkling, translucent
    Surf seeping
    And washing away
    The debris of a lifetime
    Accumulated within…

Waters of new-life
    I am raised up and float
    To the surface
    Buoyant
    In the caress
    Of your currents.

All fear of submersion
    Replaced by an enfolding
    Encircling embrace
    The unfathomable
    Bonds of your love

+ Amen

Pax – David

• Bryan Cook on 02/24/2018 at 6:29 pm

Amen and thanks David. I too find poetrt a healing, meditative act. As part of my Lenten journet, I attempt to write a daily haiku, an expression and release of my feelings. In serentiy, Bryan

3. Karen Thorpe on 02/21/2018 at 8:54 pm

I left this comment yesterday – so not sure why it didn’t get entered.
    John 3: 36 Those who believe in the Son of God will have eternal life. Those who do not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides upon him. Having great trouble with this scripture and the fact that so many will not see, hear or understand about the love of God and will live lives of terror, fear, hopelessness, hunger, poverty, shame, sorrow and confusion from the time they are innocent little children – this is their reality.

• Nancy Roth on 02/25/2018 at 7:25 pm

This is a conflicting mystery for me, too. But it doesn’t mean that God’s love is unavailable for these people nor unfelt, regardless of who or where they are. Our calling seems to be to do what we can to change the circumstances leading to the suffering of others.

• Doris on 03/01/2018 at 2:43 am

Here is what hit me-and it goes back to the fear that was spoken about-when we don’t know God, we fear what God might really be like in our imaginations-how can God love me? God is wrathful! God is Vengeful! Perhaps it is not God’s wrath but one’s fear of God’s perceived wrath that abides upon those who do not believe-not as a punishment from God for not believing, but from one’s own misconceptions about God because one isn’t in relationship with God to know differently. But in coming to know God we come to know that is not true. “Fear has to do more with punishment.” What if John 3:36 is more an observation of what naturally occurs when we don’t obey or believe rather than God ordained punishment?

4. Jerry Kirks on 02/20/2018 at 6:25 pm

What a wonderful way to begin Lent than starting with God’s unconditional love
    The news of the day shows how much it is needed.
    A wonderful present to us from you
    Thanks

5. DM on 02/20/2018 at 6:48 am

I appreciate the deep textual analysis, such as the frequency of key word usage, such as “world” and “abide”. I approach each of these lessons with humility and wonder. God, please come back to my life, and help fill it with meaning.

6. Jaan Sass on 02/19/2018 at 11:23 pm

This week’s videos and themes have been wonderful. Like someone else mentioned I and the parish that I attend have participated in the last two Lenten offerings and participating in this one. The hardest is the knowledge that perfect love casts out all fear. I am glad this begins with Christ and not us because I continually fail.

7. John MacPherson on 02/19/2018 at 9:37 pm

I find using readings, videos, and reflections helps me in a deeper understanding of issues that are currently still plaguing me and interfere with my relationship with God. Doing these exercises provides a respite from my daily routine to explore and examine my spiritual life.

8. Jeanne Dolan on 02/19/2018 at 8:14 pm

I have enjoyed listening to the brothers impart their simple wisdom regarding God’s love this past week. My life can get so busy and it’s great to just slow myself down this Lent and ask God to open my heart to hear the message. This is coming at a wonderful time for me as I immediately went on vacation after very recently retiring from my professional career. This will help me in my entry to retired life after I return home. I will be joining a Lenten discussion group based on these videos when I go home. Thanks again.

9. Donna Fowler on 02/17/2018 at 11:41 pm

Thank you for the opportunity to reflect and pray with you on the gospel of John and the Epistles. I have not only been writing down thoughts, but I’ve also been drawing/coloring! And I have zero artistic talent, but that doesn’t seem to matter. 💙

10. Marti Hunt on 02/17/2018 at 9:48 pm

Although there is the option of reading the transcripts, which I appreciate for those who are hearing impaired, I found it very meditative to listen to the different voices of the Brothers sharing the reflections. This had an impact that went beyond the words themselves. I am very grateful for this opportunity.

11. Doreen Handley on 02/17/2018 at 9:17 pm

Listening to the video each day reminds me to take my focus back to God who dwells in me. I listen to what God has to say to me. I also pay attention to how God is shown to me each day in small ‘coincidences’, which I don’t believe are coincidences, but God showing me that He is with me every second.

12. Richard on 02/17/2018 at 8:08 pm

I looked forward to each daily video to see how God’s word was going to lead me:

13. Robbie. on 02/17/2018 at 7:43 pm

I have freedom in God’s love to express my words and actions as His, in me and revealed through me, I strive from fear by my outward expression of Love, God’s Love.

14. Robert Bagioni on 02/17/2018 at 7:38 pm

Having used the Lenten series for the past two years I looked forward to this years offering. Week one did not disappoint. I can echo the comments posted by all this week. God’s love is unconditional and like grace is given to each of us by God without any strings attached. In good times or in bad times God’s love is there to give me strength when I need it in bad times and to more fully appreciate the joy of life in good times. How wonderful to be a child of God.

15. Deacon Laurie Michaeos+ on 02/17/2018 at 6:42 pm

Thank you for these reflections and practical applications to our prayer life. I love the questions for self reflection, the corresponding prayer journal and the end of the week compilation as I seek to draw closer to God with greater intensity this Lent.

16. John David Spangler on 02/17/2018 at 6:38 pm

With great gratitude, I would like to thank the Brothers for Week I, echoing what Richard, Abby and Michelle have written. Keeping up took some resolve which I shall strive to continue. Dealing with Day 6 was the hardest.

17. Sally on 02/17/2018 at 6:05 pm

I have found so much to consider this past week. I think the most awesome was seeing myself as a Child of God. I refer to myself to others as a wife, mother, teacher, grandmother, daughter, sister, and so on. But, I never tell people I am a Child of God. I have spent part of this week contemplating that and changing that. First, and foremost, I am His. All the rest of my “titles” are nothing compared to being His. It’s easy to think about, but less normal to attest to. From now on, my starting point will be with my identification as a Child of God and the rest will follow!

18. Michelle Bull on 02/17/2018 at 5:13 pm

I don’t think any of the Brothers said anything new or startling or that I hadn’t heard before, even said before. But the way they said it, the openness and loving acceptance they showed, the way they put it together, made it seem often like amazing new illuminations. Often they brought tears to my eyes and have certainly deepened my sense of God’s love. I am most deeply grateful.

• Philip Ritchie on 02/17/2018 at 9:46 pm

Brother James came to our Church in Oxford recently and said that Fr Benson, the Founder of SSJE had a quiet voice and was quite theological, so a lot of folk couldn’t hear him or found him quite difficult to listen to but at the same time they really felt the presence of God when he spoke! The Brothers were very clear and not too theological (!) but yes I totally agree full of openness and loving acceptance – I too felt God was present in these talks. Thank you so much

19. Abby Briggs on 02/17/2018 at 1:57 pm

My journal is now telling me to abide in God; that He loves all of me, and if for me then also for everyone else; that I don’t have to earn His love, or always feel it, that God’s love transcends our feelings; that I should listen for God’s voice each day; that I am a beloved child of God; and that Jesus by example teaches us to rely on relationship with God, who is the perfect love casting out fear.
    What an incredible message.
    Thanks be to God,
    Amen.

• James on 02/19/2018 at 4:10 am

That’s a perfect summation of your past week Abby, thank-you for putting it so succinctly! God bless.

20. Richard Dixon on 02/17/2018 at 1:32 pm

Thank you Brothers, for this First week of Meeting Jesus. I’m not sure that “enjoying ” is the right word for how I feel, but I enjoyed each daily offering, not least because I was lead to consider again the blessings I have received at our Lord’s hand.
    I give thanks!

• Margot L T on 02/18/2018 at 7:41 pm

I end this week and begin another in gratitude to the Brothers for introducing this conversation with my deepest fears and hopes. Both have a lot to say! Writing daily in a journal is like excavating – more becomes apparent, or at least suggestive, than might otherwise be appreciated. So much of what I have read and heard this past week is familiar – a story told in different ways and heard at different ages in varying circumstances. Yet, it remains active, unfinished, inviting, welcoming and, most important, hope-filled.