Week 4 Day 6: Bringing Others to Jesus (Andrew)

“One of the two who heard John speak and followed (Jesus) was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his brother Simon and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah’ (which is translated Anointed). He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, ‘You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas (which is translated Peter).”
John 1:40-42

Bringing Others to Jesus (Andrew)

-Br. Jim Woodrum

Transcript:

This week, we’ve been exploring the theme of friendship with Jesus. We’ve explored this intimacy through the relationships that he had with several of his friends, like Peter, for instance. In our gospel lesson for today, from John chapter one, we learn that Peter became friends with Jesus through an introduction from his brother Andrew. We read, “One of the two of them who heard John the Baptist speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his brother Simon and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah,’ which is translated anointed.” In a way, you could say that Andrew was an evangelist. Now the word ‘evangelist’ these days has taken on sort of a negative connotation because it’s been associated with conquest or perhaps a conversion to a singular way of religious thought.

In reality, ‘evangelist’ comes from the Greek euangelion, which means ‘bearer of good news.’ It’s the same word that we get the word ‘angel.’ You may know, in the other gospels, you hear stories of angels coming to people to bear good news. An angel comes to Mary to say that she would bear Jesus. An angel comes to Joseph saying it was safe to take Mary as his wife. Angels come to the shepherds to say the Messiah as been born and where to find this Messiah, this boy, Jesus.

How have you come to know Jesus? How has your relationship come into fruition with Jesus? Perhaps like me you grew up in church and you learned about Jesus through Bible stories and through songs. You might have learned about Jesus by stumbling upon a chapel, such as the one that we have here in Cambridge, one where you found peace, and stillness, and solace in a very turbulent world, or perhaps through the actions of a friend, like Andrew, maybe someone who’s had influence on you, who has shown you friendship and grace and intimacy, and that has modeled and been a reflection of Jesus.

Jesus is calling us all into relationship. God wants to be with us in relationship, wants us to have abundant life, and a more fruitful life. This is what God desires. It’s through that intimacy that we also become evangelists by bearing that same light to other people. We become angels. How is it that we can become evangelists? How can we share the good news of Jesus with other people through word and deed?

We invite you to share your reflection here >

1. Mary Anderson on 03/27/2018 at 10:00 am

I think of ways in which I became closer to Jesus and share them with others. My oldest daughter joined the Navy and when she came home on leave the first year, she wanted to be baptized. My heart was filled with joy. As her life in the Navy continued and she was sent overseas to Afghanistan, I prayed and prayed for her. I found comfort in knowing that she welcomed Jesus into her heart. I felt, and still feel, that over the distance, wherever she is, I am connected with her through the love of Jesus. Thank you, Lord, for being in our lives!

2. Pamela Ann Quarstein on 03/16/2018 at 11:52 pm

D E S I R E
    D o not be afraid, God is with you always, so
    E vangelize
    S hare the good news of Jesus Christ
    I n relationship with others, for He wants the best for you
    R eflect the light and face of Jesus
    E verytime and always, through thought, word, and deed

• Suzanne Crawford on 03/17/2018 at 6:48 pm

Very good!

3. Mary on 03/14/2018 at 7:31 pm

I was a cradle Episcopalian, but fell away and lost my faith in my college years. Then I met my friend, Diane, who mysteriously felt compelled to pray for me. She led me back to God by opening her bible and explaining God’s incredible love for me. She taught me to pray. That was 37 years ago.
    How is it that we can become evangelists? How can we share the good news of Jesus with other people through word and deed? I think we start by asking God how. Several years ago, God tugged at my heart to bring bible study to many of the people who attended our church but didn’t really know what the bible said. Leading that bible study was the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done. God knows our strengths and will use them to further his kingdom if we let him.

4. David John Drew on 03/14/2018 at 1:51 am

Lord Jesus, Light of the Gospel,

I cannot recall when I first heard your name mentioned, but it was spoken to me in the very distant past. I was, perhaps, maybe five years old at primary school. Of course, mentioning this brings back many memories, some of them good, others bad – but it is certain that I have come a long way from that time, yet it is interesting how such thoughts and experiences never wholly leave us – in fact, I believe that in part such things form our character. It was a time when religion was still taught as part of the school curriculum – we started off each day saying the Lord’s Prayer. I remember Christmastime at school – it was a special season of the year to us all; singing lots of beautiful hymns in the main hall, with a decorated Christmas tree, a simple party with soda-pop and cupcakes, some lessons about the ‘baby-Jesus,’ and Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem, the Manger and the animals, shepherds, angels and wise-men. Thinking back, I treasure that experience – feeling too like Andrew your disciple, that I too had discovered something pure, magical and mysterious – that was far too ethereal to put into words or attempt to describe. I really don’t believe that we understood the whole picture at that stage in our lives, who this ‘Messiah’ was, a baby who was the ‘King of Israel’ – born in a stable in a far-off city of a land that we had never, could never comprehend as children. Yet, it seemed important enough to think about it all, to imagine what it must be, and believe that it was true. It was all very innocent, uncomplicated, but profoundly moving in emotional terms – like being surrounded by light, warmth, and love.

Lord, as we mature our attitudes change, we are subject to all sorts of social dynamics and influences – to a large degree, for me, what was heartfelt and instinctive became ‘mind-driven,’ and even scientific – we seek explanations and proofs, undeniable evidence that true faith cannot answer. But the same can be said for religion in the same breath – our hearts and minds are hardened by theology… by Christology and the constantly repetitive recitations of creeds. An unemotional, thick, dense and impenetrable wall is constructed around innocent apprehension and encloses our active imagination in darkness and sterility.

Lord, we are dragged downward by the dogged and absurd arguments and notions of who you really were, even if you existed at all… what you looked like, what language you spoke, and can your words be translated into modern meanings? We dissect your body, attempting to find out something about ourselves that we know is missing within us.

Lord, in my walk with you, I have attempted to recover a sense of wonder and amazement, to restore my capacity to imagine and dream, to love without reason or rationality, and move out of that dense fog in which my mind has been beset – and enter the clarity of a new dawning day of fresh understanding. Truly, it is only with the eyes and mind of a child that you can be discovered and seen, adored and loved. To be able to say along with the other evangelists and God-bearers, ‘We have found Him… come and see!’ – To look upon your shining face with eyes enchanted with the pure flames of love.

+ Amen.

Pax Christi – David.

• Suzanne Crawford on 03/16/2018 at 6:50 pm

I cannot remember a time when I did not know Jesus. I do however remember a specific time when I had to declare my faith. I was in seventh grade in the dining room and sitting at a table with six or seven other girls that I had known as early as infancy, if you can know people at infancy. My girl friends were all in the accelerated class and I was not. Today they are leaders in their respective fields. Anyway we were all talking about God. Some of the girls were Jewish. Some of the girls were Roman Catholic. Some were Episcopalians. The discussion was centered on how one could believe if one could not see. The discussion was lively. These girls had very educated reasons as why they questioned and did not necessarily believe. They then turned to me and asked if I believed. I said, “Yes!” They then asked how can you, if you can’t see Him. My response was, “ Faith. I have faith, which can not be argued.” The discussion then ended. I am still quite close with most of my kindergarten girl friends. Although most do not practice in a structured or traditional worship service or study, they all have tremendous respect for my practice. When I visit, they give me my time to meditate and pray. When we eat they invite me to pray; although once when in my home, one did laugh at me. I politely and firmly reminded her that she was in my home. And now when they visit me they will come to church with me….In fact on Wednesday one of these dear friends came to the Lenten communion service and healing following communion. Her comment before communion was, “It’s been a long time since I have been cleansed.” He husband who is Jewish also attended. I do not know if it was Evangelism; I do know that it was an act of love and respect. My friends are very, very bright. I am of average intelligence. When I was in grammar school, I did feel intellectually inadequate compared to these gals. Now, at age 66 and a retired special education elementary teacher of 40years, I no longer feel that way. Now, I am thankful and grateful that I am who I am and that I have a strong faith. I do not feel sorry for these gals. They are on their own journey and will find their way to God as he is revealed to them. I am confident that He already has and they know deep in their hearts His love.

5. James on 03/10/2018 at 9:51 pm

I asked, seeked, and knocked, and The Lord let me in. We ate, walked, and spent quiet time together. We became friends, brothers, and a co-heirs to Our Fathers kingdom. He lived and died for me and I live and died with Him. I will dwell in Him as He dwells in me for the glory of our Father forever and ever. To live is Christ and to die is gain! Hallelujah!

6. Candy on 03/10/2018 at 3:55 am

I came to Jesus thru an amazing, Godly person who worked down the hall from me. I was 37 and am now 70. I continue growing thru Bible Study classes, Sunday School, church on Wednesdays & Sundays. I am a Daughter of the King and a lay minister in the healing ministry of the Order Of Saint Luke. I’m from the Central FL Diocese of the Episcopal Church.

7. Dianne on 03/10/2018 at 2:47 am

Euangelion. I learned something new…”the Greek word euangelion, which means ‘bearer of good news.’ It’s the same word that we get the word ‘angel.’”

I am celebrating the good news in International Women’s Day (yesterday March 8 2018) with this varied translation of Psalm 133 through the Pacific Coast vision of “high places” in two snowy Lions Peaks shimmering in Vancouver skyline through the inspirational words of a Canadian Aboriginal woman Pauline Johnson (1861–1913), euange lion….a west coast lioness, angel, story teller & a bearer of good news.

Psalm 133 (modern & ancient speak) Behold how good & how pleasant where kindred dwell together in unity!It is as when the precious ointment upon the head runs down …till it runs down upon the collar of their robes. As the dew of the Two Sisters, as the dew of the Lions which comes down the mountains of the Pacific Coast for there the Creator ordained a blessing life for evermore””And on the mountain crest the chiefs’ daughters can be seen wrapped in the suns, the snows, the stars of all seasons, for they have stood in this high place for thousands of years, & will stand for thousands of years to come, guarding the peace of the Pacific Coast & the quiet of the Capilano Canyon.”

Poet & public speaker Pauline Johnson (Tekahionwake) is best known for her poetry celebrating her Aboriginal heritage.

8. Kathleen on 03/10/2018 at 2:45 am

• Dianne on 03/10/2018 at 2:50 am

Hi Kathleen, Sorry…friendly heads up…for some reason this posted in your name & I noticed that just after I posted…so I reposted above in my name. Sorry for the technical error. Dianne

9. Jennifer on 03/09/2018 at 8:52 pm

When I was 25, I came to know Jesus through on invitation from a Christian friend who invited me to read a booklet called Four Sporitual Laws. I responded to the prayer at the end of the booklet and started a realationship with God. Through the past 40 years my relationship with Jesus has grown through the influence of Christian friends, attending church and bible study.

10. Tom Bailey on 03/09/2018 at 8:45 pm

Andrew was the first evangelist. My father whose middle name is Andrew, evangelized me (told me the Good News).

11. John David Spangler on 03/09/2018 at 6:49 pm

Brother Jim asks us how did we find Jesus. Brother Jim has ansewered his own question: “Jesus is calling us all into relationship. God wants to be with us in relationship, wants us to have abundant life, and a more fruitful life. This is what God desires.” I too grew up in the Church, the Episcopal Church, quided by a devout mother and shepherded by a non-practising father. It was not Jesus that was lost. He found me. I grew to know him more fully through study, serious study of scripture, including its context as Margaret wrote. Among my many guides, I attribute a very great deal of gratitude to my agnostic spiritual advisor. The serious study of scripture was focused on John’s gospel, particularly on verses 1-18. I thank Brother Jim for his meditation and for his defining evangelism and pointing out the negative connotation now associated with the word. One prays that those who apply this negaive connotation will, through serious study of scripture, cease to use it as “a singular way of religious thought”.

12. Bryan Cook on 03/09/2018 at 6:47 pm

For me, angels bring a message of redemption cloaked in words which may be dire, sad, directional, inditive, happy or glad. Angels are not just winged messengers, they can also be in the form of all beings, including pets bringing rescue and comfort, flowers bringing the joy of perfumed beauty, rocks telling me of genisis, wind and lull bringing me serenity, and other people. It was an angel who shouted after me as I stumbled out of the detox centre into the gutter looking for another drink…”What a bleeb bleeb Waste!” That angel was so right…the Lord did not intend that I squander the talents he gave me by my own self-will. I will always remember those words and turn my self-will towards positive actions. We can all be angels too, if pride, material and social gain and self-promotion are kept at bay with the help of the Lord.

• Delores on 03/10/2018 at 10:49 am

Bryan, you express your thoughts beautifully and I share your feelings about all the wonderful gifts God has given us in nature and cherished pets. And your angels and you were so right when you decided that God did not give you your talents to squander them. I applaud your decision to seek help through AA and I wish you all the best in your quest to use your life as God intended. Delores

13. Ruth on 03/09/2018 at 6:35 pm

Learning more and more about Jesus, knowing that there will always be so much more to learn and discover about Jesus is THE most exciting thing ever! The way I do it is through reading and studying the Bible (alone and in community), through SSJE and all the wonderful resources that you Brothers offer the world to get to know Jesus better. Through prayer, through service, through giving and receiving spiritual direction and being an Elder in my church. Through community, being a part of it and serving it. Also by not limiting my study of God to one denomination, but studying Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican-Episcopalian, Reformed, Anabaptist-Wesleyan, etc… There is much to be gleaned in all of them. Thank you SSJE for this wonderful study focused in the writings of Saint John. We are your brothers and sisters in the Lord and we are grateful for your service to Christ and to us. I am especially grateful for Brother Nelson’s “Behold What You Are” in Monastic Wisdom for Everyday Living. It is most helpful. I have shared it with just about everyone I know.

14. Suzanne Haraburd on 03/09/2018 at 6:31 pm

Through faithful, compassionate Christians; through music; most powerfully, through the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd; through having no one but Jesus as my anchor in life.

• Bryan Cook on 03/09/2018 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Suzanne…..music is a voice of angels. B

15. Suellen Nelson on 03/09/2018 at 6:16 pm

I grew up in the Roman Catholic church and later became an Episcopalian. I thought I was pretty devout until I had a serious surgery almost two years ago where I was in pain for almost six months. That was when I had a bit of a conversion where I became a much more attentive Christian who tries much harder to walk hand in hand with Christ everyday. I emphasize “tries”. It isn’t always easy.

16. Susan Marengo on 03/09/2018 at 6:00 pm

I started to learn about Jesus when I joined a church with my husband. At that time it wasn’t so much a relationship with Jesus as it was more surface things . Years went by and bits and piece of a sermon would have a impact on me in terms of two days later I could give some recollection to the sermons content.

It wasn’t until I had a health crisis of my own that I decided how much was I going to believe. Afterward my husband fell seriously ill in numerous ways and for the next 18 yrs I was his caregiver. I knew over the course of those years God was giving us strength for the next day, week and year. Fred has been gone 15 months and Jesus has been with me every step of the way and every tear shed.

I am told on occasion that I am a strong woman and I tell them the Lord has been holding me up.

17. Carole on 03/09/2018 at 4:45 pm

….to exhibit love and friendship….to be ready to share your own story of relationship with Jesus (when prompted)…perhaps to share a book that is meaningful to you….to invite someone to a Bible study. This is what happened to me: in spite of growing up in church, I didn’t really come to know Jesus until someone lovingly told me she was attending an informal, non-threatening Bible study in someone’s home, and invited me to go with her. Apparently the Holy Spirit had prepared my heart, and I said yes. Through the study, other reading, and fellowship with believers (and other seekers), I came to know Jesus.

18. Bev Cone on 03/09/2018 at 4:43 pm

…..through service in my new home – playing hymns for Chapel, studying the meaning of hymn words, enjoying the music with others, and through tutoring, helping an adult learn to read.
    …… through Meditation on my beautiful porch, Journaling, through prayers for guidance in my new life, and participating in this beautiful Lenten study. Many Blessings.

19. Caroline M. (Parker) Connelly on 03/09/2018 at 4:12 pm

We have been given the gift of speech. Using that speech to spread kind words of love and encouragement is part of the “Good News” Christ’s teachings bring to the world. Being a community volunteer is rewarding
    and puts one in touch with others; “let your light so shine”. A rewarding experience to speak and demonstrate the “Good News”! Too shy to speak, a smile is welcome too! God has given us many gifts, ways to share!
    Peace.

20. Margaret on 03/09/2018 at 3:57 pm

… through study, serious study of scripture, including its context.

• Abby on 03/09/2018 at 11:44 pm

Jesus has been holding out his hands to me since I can remember. The words of Brother Jim reminded me that when I stumble off the path and feel lost, and I finally remember to pray, Jesus is always there like a warm light, with his arms out welcoming me back into his fold. That happens again and again and again.